Making time for older people.

Abbeyfield Southern Oaks is a community based organisation which relies on volunteers to help us achieve our goals


Click here for more

Volunteering

Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print


Abbeyfield Southern Oaks is a not for profit organisation. We are affiliated to The Abbeyfield Society, but are independent and run our own affairs.


Regulator: Housing Corporation H1185  

Registered Office: The Old House, Epsom Road, Ewell, Surrey KT17 1JZ

Registered Charity Number 247308

The company, which is limited by guarantee, is registered in England and Wales at the above address (registration number 734705)

This site uses cookies from Google Analytics to assess usage


Works on the Nonsuch Abbeyfield Extra Care Community on Old School Lane, Ewell have started. Enabling works including demolition of the existing buildings and establishment of the site compound are underway. Castleoak, our construction partner, will then start the construction works in late December 2017 with completion of the building in the latter half of 2019. For details of our progress and ongoing updates please go to the

 Nonsuch Abbeyfield website


New Development in Ewell

On a sunny afternoon in late May, an intrepid convoy of cars containing Old House Residents, House Team members, volunteers and walking aids, set off from the Old House, Ewell. Off through the tangle of traffic that is modern Kingston through the gate on Queen’s Road into the oasis of Richmond Park. The park has royal connections with its 2,500 acres being walled during the reign of Charles 1 in about 1637. The old oaks were bedecked in their full foliage after a long and cold Spring. The park is the top UK site for ancient trees and current practice is to leave dead wood where it falls to become home for a 1000 species of beetles!

 

 We headed north towards Richmond at 20 mph around the perimeter road but turned off right to Peg 's Pond car-park reserved for the disabled. We disembarked, then entered the foot gate into a 40 acre fenced woodland garden, Isabella Plantation. It was originally planted in the 1830s with oak, beech and sweet chestnut for timber, but fenced to keep the deer out and opened to the public in 1953.  


At Peg's Pond we passed photographers struggling to adjust their cameras to take pictures of goslings running between their feet plus catch photos of the Mallards, adult Canada geese and Mandarin ducks on the pond. We took the new paths, paid for by Lottery money, up the slight gradient through the evergreen Azaleas lining our way with their pink, purple, red and orange flowers which had probably peaked a week before, but this trip the Rhododendrons, some reaching half the size of the mighty oaks were resplendent.


After about 20 minutes of gentle walking we arrived at Still Pond surrounded by Kurume Azaleas (see photo taken facing that location). We then set off to complete the circular walk past Thomson's Pond and the Bog Garden.

 

We loaded the cars again and then back the way we had come through the park seeing some of the herds of 300 Red deer and 350 Fallow deer which inhabit it. En-route for Ewell, when passing through Tolworth, we stopped off at the Court Garden Centre for a cream tea and a stroll through the shop and a “dash” across the car-park to avoid most of a late afternoon shower.


A nice trip out, and with it being a month later in the year than the similar trip in 2016, the range of flowering plants in bloom was quite different.

RICHMOND PARK visited by The Old House